Founded in 1986, Animal Umbrella is a statewide, volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue, spay/neuter, adoption and overall welfare of homeless cats and kittens in Massachusetts.
Since 1986 we have:
- Spayed/neutered several thousand cats.
- Adopted thousands of cats/kittens through our shelter & network of volunteers.
- Responded to thousands of rescue calls from concerned animal lovers.
- Educated the public on animal welfare issues such as:
- Importance of spaying/neutering in controlling cat overpopulation
- Overall cat care/owner responsibilities
- Humane alternative placement solutions for animals considered unadoptable.
- Networked with other humane organizations and animal lovers to find homes for abandoned animals.
- Continued to work on the following programs:
- Spay/neuter/release of street cats (when there is no space in our shelter and when they are cared for by an animal lover)
- Low cost spay/neuter for responsible/concerned owners (for animal not adopted from Animal Umbrella since our cats are sterilized prior to adoption.)
- Socialization of feral cats and kittens.
- Placement in special homes of adoptable animals (e.g. handicap, old age, behavior, FIV or FLEV positive).